OTZZ/Qatar The UAE allege that on Jan 15, Qatari fighter jets intercepted an Emirates aircraft in international waters just north of the tip of Qatar. Qatar denies the claim.
Following the incident, the UAE CAA published a safety alert, warning about “unannounced and hazardous military activities within Bahrain FIR in airways UP699 and P699”, which they consider to be “a potential hazard to the safety of flight.”
Qatar have filed a complaint of their own with the UN, claiming that UAE military aircraft have repeatedly violated their airspace during the ongoing diplomatic crisis between the Gulf states.
All this complaining on both sides is much more likely to be political wrangling, rather than any kind of genuine airspace safety issue.
More on the topic:
- More: Who is still flying over Syria?
- More: Qatar airspace update – military jets intercepting civil flights
- More: Missile attack on OERK/Riyadh was “warning shot”, other airports now targets
- More: Airspace Changes Coming for the OMAE FIR
- More: Qatar – What We Know