CYYR/Goose Bay was closed by the Canadian Department of National Defence on Nov 8, following the discovery of a problem with their runways. During snow removal operations over the past few days, crack sealant was found on vehicles after they were used on the runways. Specialists are en-route to Goose Bay to assess the situation.
Runway 08/26 has been completely closed, and Runway 16/34 has closed to all except Medevac flights, with a shortened Landing Distance Available of 7600 feet.
The Airport has said that emergency flights will be considered on a “case by case basis”. However, for now, carrying CYYR as an ETOPS alternate does not make sense.
More on the topic:
- More: North Atlantic expanded data link mandate
- More: July 2020 North Atlantic Ops Update
- More: Covid impact on North Atlantic diversion airports
- More: Oceanic Plotting: Classic Navigation meets New Age Tech
- More: 2020 Edition: New NAT Doc 007 – North Atlantic Airspace and Operations Manual