The main runway at RPLL/Manila, RWY 06/24, was closed on Monday 18JUL after heavy rain caused large chunks of asphalt to disintegrate. One of the last aircraft to land, shown below, suffered damage to an inboard flap section.
At least 10 flights diverted to Clark International Airport (RPLC/CRK), 50nm northwest of the city.
The runway was tentatively reopened on Tuesday, but consideration to future similar issues should be given, if further rain occurs.
More on the topic:
- More: Testing Times At Teterboro: Closures and Challenges
- More: Wrong Runway, Wrong Airport, Wrong Country
- More: SNOWTAMS slip into a new style
- More: Runway? Who needs one when you have a taxiway!
- More: Bad NOTAMS = Runway overruns in Hamburg