In Short: Operations at WMKK/Kuala Lumpur International Airport have been suspended from 0900L-1030L every day this week (27-31 August). This is to make way for the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) to conduct rehearsals for an aerial flypast that will be part of Malaysia’s National Day parade.
As we outlined in our daily brief, WMKK/Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) is being shutdown this week for 90 minutes everyday, between 9am and 10:30am to allow fly-over “rehearsals” for the National Day parade.
We think this is excessive.
The shutdown of a major international gateway airport (the 23rd busiest airport in the world) for 7 and half hours in one week will impact over 498 flight operations and thousands of passengers.
The NOTAM says it all.
A2434/18 - ALL ARR AND DEP SUSPENDED DUE TO NATIONAL DAY 2018 REHEASALS AND ACTUAL FLYING DISPLAYS. 0100-0230, 27 AUG 01:00 2018 UNTIL 31 AUG 02:30 2018. CREATED: 13 AUG 07:13 2018
The central planning committee of the National Day event said:
“The air space closure is necessary to ensure the smoothness of the 2018 National day flypast practice sessions, but more importantly, the safety of aircraft flying in and out of KLIA.”
We are all about safety here. But to shutdown such a big chunk of airspace and totally suspended flying operations at 9am at such a big airport for a whole week seems particularly extreme. This is not a small isolated airport, this is a large 3 runway complex with A380’s coming and going.
This isn’t the first time such a move has happened here. In September 2016, the airport was closed for several hours a day to conduct an “aerial survey”.
This time, we understand, there was limited to no industry consultation with the onus being on the airlines and operators to notify affected customers.
Malaysia’s Transport Minister simple asked that “I hope all airlines will notify their passengers about this and reschedule their flights.”
He finished by saying “this was inevitable as we are celebrating our Independence Day”.
We say no– shutting down a major airport for nearly 7 hours to practise some flying displays is not “inevitable“.
What do you think? Do you know more, please let us know!
If you need to get into KL during these times, WMSA/SULTAN ABDUL AZIZ SHAH INTL is a good alternative.
- Travel Advisory: KLIA2 Airspace Closure On 27-31 August 2018 – Air Asia
- Airspace Closure at KLIA! – Malindo Air
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) airspace will be closed for the Merdeka Flypast rehearsals – Malaysia Airlines
More on the topic:
- More: South East Asia: Open for Business
- More: New rules for charter flights to Malaysia
- More: Malaysia and Singapore agree truce over Seletar airspace closure
- More: Midweek Briefing 22JUN: Iceland ATC strike – end in sight, Israel FPL changes
- More: Midweek Briefing 08JUN: Unsafe Airspace, New China ADIZ
- Latest: Emergency: We’re all getting MAYDAYS wrong.
- Latest: Is Libya safe to overfly yet?
- Latest: 13 things we learned this Winter
- Safe Airspace: Risk Database
- Weekly Ops Bulletin: Subscribe
- Membership plans: Why join OPSGROUP?
ZRH/LSZH airport is celebrating its 70 years anniversary this weekend. The airport will be closed just for 30min per day from today until Sunday at an off-peak time where a minimum amount of flights will be affected. A living example of how this could be handled.
A0397/18 – NO ARR/DEP DUE TO AIR DISPLAY WI ZURICH CTR. 1200-1230, 30 AUG 12:00 2018 UNTIL
02 SEP 12:30 2018.