Starting 28th March 2019, a new trial will be implemented on the NAT called ASEPS (Advanced Surveillance Enhanced Procedural Separation) using ADS-B in the Shanwick, Gander and Santa Maria FIRs.
Compliant aircraft will see a reduction in longitudinal separation to as close as 14 NM. This is not restricted to particular tracks or altitudes, just between properly equipped aircraft – you’ll need RVSM/HLA approval, ADS-B, and to be fully PBCS compliant (that means meeting the specifications of RNP4, RCP240 and RSP180). Read this ICAO Bulletin for all the details.
When the ASEPS trial starts, there will also be some changes to the contingency and weather deviation procedures. Before, there was a lot of confusion around the wording of these two procedures – this has now been made much clearer, and they have even included a nice little graphic to help us understand what to do. Read this ICAO Bulletin for all the details.
ICAO have published all these changes in their updated NAT 007 Doc valid for 28th March 2019.
- On Nov 1st we had a call with 140 Opsgroup members about upcoming changes on the NAT in 2019, and how we can effect change. Opsgroup members can find the PDF notes of this in your Dashboard.
- A big thing driving the ASEPS trial is the rollout of Space-based ADS-B, which is scheduled to complete its deployment by 30 Dec 2018, giving us worldwide, pole-to-pole surveillance of aircraft. For more on that, and how it will affect operations on the NAT specifically, read the article by Mitch Launius here.
- Use our quick guide to figure out where you are welcome on the NAT, depending on what equipment and training you have.
- All the big changes on the NAT in 2018 are covered on our page here.
More on the topic:
- More: NAT Doc 007 Changes Again!
- More: Naughty NAT Conundrums
- More: The Shopping for a Tech Stop Checklist
- More: The Golden (FAA) Rules for a Good Plot
- More: 2021 New North Atlantic Plotting & Planning Chart
- Latest: Sanctions-hit Mali bans flights from neighbouring countries
- Latest: NAT Doc 007 Changes Again!
- Latest: US 5G Roll Out: Launch Day, More Delays, New Notams and FAA Buffers
- Safe Airspace: Risk Database
- Weekly Ops Bulletin: Subscribe
- Membership plans: Why join OPSGROUP?