KZWY/New York Oceanic FIR last month published a NOTAM requiring Flight Plans to be submitted with MACH crusing number, rather than TAS in Field 15A for the flight plan. So far, most operators are not doing this. But you should!
This includes flight departing TXKF/Bermuda.
A0178/18 – ALL ACFT ENTERING THE NEW YORK OCEANIC FIR (KZWY), INCLUDING THOSE DEPARTING BERMUDA (TXKF) , MUST FILE A MACH NUMBER INSTEAD OF A SPEED OF KNOTS IN THE EXPECTED CRUISE SPEED FIELD (FIELD 15A) OF THEIR FPL. 03 MAY 17:08 2018 UNTIL 31 MAR 23:59 2019. CREATED: 03 MAY 17:09 2018
Reports are that compliance so far has been low.
So why do it?
NY ARTCC tell us:
This minor adjustment enables the ATC computer system to effectively probe flight plans and proactively offer more favorable routes and/or reroutes.
Help ATC out! Thank you.
More on the topic:
- More: Many US Bizav Airport Towers To See Hours Cut
- More: FAA bans flights over Iraq and Iran following missile strike on US base
- More: Updated FAA Oceanic Guides
- More: Your MNPS approval is about to expire (so don’t get banned from the NAT)
- More: Two is Not Enough: New NAT Doc 007 (Version 3) – August 2019