KZWY/New York Oceanic FIR last month published a NOTAM requiring Flight Plans to be submitted with MACH crusing number, rather than TAS in Field 15A for the flight plan. So far, most operators are not doing this. But you should!
This includes flight departing TXKF/Bermuda.
A0178/18 – ALL ACFT ENTERING THE NEW YORK OCEANIC FIR (KZWY), INCLUDING THOSE DEPARTING BERMUDA (TXKF) , MUST FILE A MACH NUMBER INSTEAD OF A SPEED OF KNOTS IN THE EXPECTED CRUISE SPEED FIELD (FIELD 15A) OF THEIR FPL. 03 MAY 17:08 2018 UNTIL 31 MAR 23:59 2019. CREATED: 03 MAY 17:09 2018
Reports are that compliance so far has been low.
So why do it?
NY ARTCC tell us:
This minor adjustment enables the ATC computer system to effectively probe flight plans and proactively offer more favorable routes and/or reroutes.
Help ATC out! Thank you.
More on the topic:
- More: Updated FAA Oceanic Guides
- More: Get your FAA Airspace KICZ here
- More: Out of Options, Out of Time: Why Aren’t We Declaring Emergencies?
- More: How to get an LOA approved by the FAA – The Guide
- More: Cyprus: Risks in the Nicosia FIR