Typhoon Nida is enroute to Hong Kong, and will make landfall early on Tuesday morning. Now, we know that The Weather Channel and other mass media outlets enjoy exaggerating the picture somewhat, but the below NOAA graphic seems disproportionate as well.
With forecast average winds of around 40 knots (that’s a wet Wednesday in Ireland), and maximum maybe 70 knots – the impending doom depicted in the graphic below seems overstated. Has NOAA fallen victim to sensationalism? We wonder.
More on the topic:
- More: Seven things about Hong Kong
- More: Hong Kong: New Runway Opening
- More: Hong Kong: King of the Airports
- More: Hong Kong revised entry rules for flight crew
- More: Hong Kong Airport relaxes slot rules
- Latest: FAA warning issued, further serious navigation failures reported
- Latest: Flights misled over position, navigation failure follows
- Latest: Private Flights to the US
- Safe Airspace: Risk Database
- Weekly Ops Bulletin: Subscribe
- Membership plans: Why join OPSGROUP?