Update 18th Oct: No more events are planned at this time. However, we will keep this page updated with the latest news as we get it.
Sections of NAT airspace are set to close on various different dates in October. This is all due to U.S. and NATO joint military exercise that’s going on, called Formidable Shield, which will mean huge chucks of airspace will be closed to civil ops for many hours.
The basics for each event are the same:
- Airspace closed, SFC-UNL.
- Aircraft capable of flying in MNPS airspace will have to keep at least 30nm away from the area, other aircraft will need to keep 60nm away.
Event 1 – Happened on 25th Sep.
Event 2 – Happened on 7th Oct.
Event 4 – Happened on 15th Oct. (Yes, Event 4 happened before Event 3 – just to confuse us!)
Event 3 – Happened on 17th Oct.
More on the topic:
- More: The 511 on the Nov 5th ICAO changes
- More: North Atlantic expanded data link mandate
- More: July 2020 North Atlantic Ops Update
- More: Covid impact on North Atlantic diversion airports
- More: Oceanic Plotting: Classic Navigation meets New Age Tech