Bamako Airport has reopened following last week’s military coup which overthrew the government, though monitor GOOO/Dakar FIR and GABS/Bamako Airport Notams for further – it may change.
The Bamako TMA (which sits under the GOOO/Dakar FIR) remains operational with overflights unaffected.
ICAO is actively monitoring and ensuring that there is a timely flow of information on continued airspace/ATC service availability. MedAire have given us a local situation update: with the continuing uncertainty they recommend against overnights until things settle. There is likely to be a high demand for emergency/evac flights in the coming days, and they recommend those to be quick in and outs for now.
Meanwhile, the Northern Mali conflict continues, and there have been no improvements in stability. The US, Germany, France and the UK all have airspace warnings in place, advising to operate FL250/260 or higher, and avoiding GATB, GAGO, and GAKL airports. We would suggest, as usual, that a higher level closer to FL300 is more sensible.
Senegal and Niger control the airspace over Mali, and they have long-standing Notams (published under the GOOO/Dakar and DRRR/Niamey FIRs) warning that you can only fly between FL320-400 through the entire airspace in Mali north of the GABS/Bamako TMA due to military ops across the region. Here’s what that looks like:
The UK recommend against all travel to northern Mali, and against all but essential travel to the south of the country, including Bamako. The US advice is more straight-forward: do not travel to Mali due to COVID-19, crime, terrorism, and kidnapping.
For more info on operating in this region, check out SafeAirspace.net
More on the topic:
- More: Sanctions-hit Mali bans flights from neighbouring countries
- More: Western Sahara Airspace Update
- More: Africa: Hajj 2019 routes in operation
- More: Fresh warnings as FAA clarifies weapons risk in Kenya, Mali airspace
- More: US, Canada may lose EU visa rights, More Free Route Airspace for Northern Europe
- Latest: Sanctions-hit Mali bans flights from neighbouring countries
- Latest: NAT Doc 007 Changes Again!
- Latest: US 5G Roll Out: Launch Day, More Delays, New Notams and FAA Buffers
- Safe Airspace: Risk Database
- Weekly Ops Bulletin: Subscribe
- Membership plans: Why join OPSGROUP?