New NOTAMS (pretty poorly written ones – but hey that’s another topic) have been issued for SCEL/Santiago in Chile, outlining some runway configuration changes between 31 October and 20 December, 2018.
- RWY 17L/35R will be closed for heavy maintenance between 1200z-2259z (0900L-2000L) daily except during low visibility operations. (NOTAM A3273/18)
- New RWY 18/36 established on current Taxiway Alpha and will be used in place of 17L/35R for aircraft up to A321 size. It’s dimensions are 2280M x 36M. See updated ground chart here. (NOTAM A3262/18)
- New RWY 18 GNSS approach established. See this chart. (NOTAM A3263/18)
- The STARs currently used for 17L will be applicable for RWY 18. (NOTAM A3265/18)
Opsgroup members have also advised us that;
- Due to standard late night noise restrictions, departures will be required to use 17L (not 17R).
- Pay careful attention to the substantially different missed approach procedure for GNSS RWY 18 procedure. This has been designed differently to allow a “tighter” traffic sequence and permit simultaneous operations on 17R. This is not normally possible due to the conflicting departure and missed approach paths.
If you do get to head to Chile, grab the window seat and grab a camera! I took these last year!
It really is such a great approach!