Of all the hundreds of questions we see in OPSGROUP, one region stands out as the most asked about – the NAT/North Atlantic. So, we made one of our legendary guides, to get everything into one PDF. It’s called “My first North Atlantic Flight is tomorrow” – and now we’ve updated it for 2018!
- 1. What’s different about the NAT?
- 2. Changes in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015
- 3. NAT Quick Map – Gander boundary, Shanwick boundary
- 4. Routine Flight Example #1 – Brussels to JFK (up at 5.45am)
- 5. Non Routine-Flights: No RVSM, No RNP4, No HF, 1 LRNS, No HLA, No ETOPS, No TCAS, No Datalink – what you can do and where you can go
- 6. Diversion Airports guide: Narsarsuaq, Sondy, Kef, Glasgow, Dublin, Shannon, Lajes, Fro Bay, Goose Bay, Gander, St. Johns
- 7. Airport data
- 8. Overflight permits – routine and special
- 9. Special NAT procedures: Mach number technique, SLOP, Comms, Oceanic Transition Areas, A successful exit, Screwing it up, Departing from Close Airports
- 10. North Atlantic ATC contacts for Shanwick, Gander, Iceland, Bodo, Santa Maria, New York – ATC Phone, Radio Station Phone, AFTN, Satcom, CPDLC Logon codes; and adjoining Domestic ATC units – US, Canada, Europe.
- 11. NAT FPL Codes
- 12. NAT Flight Levels
- 13. Flight Plan Filing Addresses by FIR
- 14. Links, Questions, Guidance
Excerpt from the Routine Flight #1:
|Buy a copy ($20)||Get it free – join OPSGROUP|
To get your copy – there are three options:
- OPSGROUP Members, login to the Dashboard and find it under “Publications > Guides”. All FSB content like this is included in your membership, or
- Join OPSGROUP with an individual, team, or department/airline plan, and get it free on joining (along with a whole bunch of other stuff), or
- Purchase a copy in the Flight Service Store!
More on the topic:
- More: Aug 2022 NAT Doc 006 Changes
- More: NAT Conundrums Volume III: To GOTA and beyond!
- More: No SELCAL On The NAT?
- More: CPDLC Gotcha: Clearance Busts
- More: ACARS Oceanic Clearances on the NAT