An eTA is now required to enter Canada – November 10, 2016

By Declan Selleck


Earlier this year Canada introduced a requirement for an eTA – like the US Esta.

For a while, it was OK to travel without one. That’s now over – you need one.

As of November 10, 2016, travellers with passports from eTA-required countries who enter Canada by air will need an eTA.

The leniency period ended on November 9, 2016: during this period you could have boarded your flight without an eTA, as long as you had appropriate travel documents such as a valid passport. During the leniency period, border services officers can let you enter the country as long as you meet the other requirements to enter Canada.

The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

Applying for an eTA is a simple and inexpensive ($7 Canadian) online process that will take just a few minutes. Most eTA-eligible applicants will get their authorization within minutes of submitting the online form.

If you need an eTA, you should:
⁃ get it when you plan your trip – do not wait for the last minute to apply and
⁃ travel to Canada with the passport you used to get your eTA.




More on the topic:

More reading:

Declan Selleck

Declan Selleck

Declan is a Flight Service Specialist with OPSGROUP.

Leave a Reply

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap