In an unusual move, a new time zone will take effect in South America from the 1st of May. As part of a measure to battle an energy crisis in Venezuela, the president also gave the public sector every Friday off until at least June 6th – to save electricity.
In addition, the entire country will change timezone from UTC -4h30 to UTC-4 from 01MAY, to ensure more daylight in the evening when energy consumption peaks.
At SVMI/Simon Bolivar, Primary radar has been off the air since 04APR – and remains out of service until the end of May – it’s unclear if this is electricity related.
If operating to Venezuela after 01MAY, local time will therefore be 4 hours behind UTC.
More on the topic:
- More: China Crew Hotel 101
- More: Don’t say Hi to Jack!
- More: What is going on in Myanmar?
- More: EU-LISA: Europe’s new pax screening system postponed to 2023
- More: PIREPs of the Caribbean