There was supposed to be a European ADS-B mandate coming in June 2020, but the deadlines are being pushed back.
Here’s the nutshell version of the amended requirements:
- Any aircraft with a CofA from between 1995-2020 (i.e. pretty much everyone) won’t have to be fitted with ADS-B until 7th June 2023, but they will need to have a “retrofit program” established before 7th Dec 2020 (more on that below).
- EXEMPT: Aircraft with a CofA before 1995; aircraft ceasing operations within the EU airspace prior to Oct 2025; aircraft doing maintenance or export/delivery flights.
- One requirement that’s staying – all aircraft need to be equipped with Mode S ELS before 7th Dec 2020.
All of this has been published on the SESAR ADS-B webpage as one nice, neat little image:
On 29th April 2020, the EU approved and published these measures as Regulation 1207/2011 – the full text is available here.
More on the topic:
- More: Park It! A look at some of Europe’s busiest summer airports
- More: Are you ADS-Being watched?
- More: The New EASA Fuel Policy: Does it affect you?
- More: Traffic Jam in Europe: Airspace Bottlenecks & ATC Disruption
- More: You’ll need to hustle if you want to park at Brussels
- Latest: Park It! A look at some of Europe’s busiest summer airports
- Latest: Trains, Planes and Fuel-mobiles
- Latest: Formula 1 & Movie Stars: Special Procedures in Southern France
- Safe Airspace: Risk Database
- Weekly Ops Bulletin: Subscribe
- Membership plans: Why join OPSGROUP?