The next 24 hours will dictate the impact that Hurricane Matthew will have on Florida, as it leaves Cuba and begins to track north through the Bahamas.
Airports Update: for Haiti, MTPP/Toussaint L”Ouverture International and MTCH/Hugo Chávez International are confirmed reopened and operating normally, by the National Airport Authority Haiti (as of 1200ET).
For the Bahamas – the hurricane will severely impact operations at all Bahamas airports. As of 1100LT Wednesday (this morning), ALL Airports in the Bahamas are closed, by order of the Department of Civil Aviation and the Airport Authority.
For the USA – the first state to be affected will be Florida. Tracking of the hurricane will determine by how much. A slight turn to the left, and hurricane force winds will impact the entire coast, hardest hit will be the area from KPBI/Palm Beach north to KJAX/Jacksonville. KMCO, KMIA, KFLL are among the large airports that will be affected.
Projected timings for eye of Matthew:
0800LT Thursday: Abaco, Bahamas
0800LT Friday: Palm Bay, Florida
0800LT Saturday: Savannah, Georgia –
More on the topic:
- More: The Central Florida Metroplex
- More: Update on GA/BA flight requirements to the Bahamas
- More: Call for volunteers from OPSGROUP: We need flight ops people
- More: A review of aviation in Hurricane Dorian relief efforts
- More: U.S. cracks down on scheduled flights to Cuba