Remember that big NAT military exercise a couple of years ago? Formidable Shield is happening again this year, from May 9-27, which will mean parts of North Atlantic airspace will be closed to all flights for several hours at a time.
Back in 2021, the airspace closures were pretty big, stretching halfway across the EGGX/Shanwick FIR. Things aren’t so bad this year though – it looks like the closures will just be limited to an area off the west coast of Scotland.
So for planning NAT flights, watch out for the whole area from ORTAV in the north to APSOV in the south. And for any questions on Formidable Shield, you can contact the UK Airspace Management Cell at SWK-MAMC-ManagedAirspace@mod.gov.uk.
More on the topic:
- More: North Atlantic Volcanic Threat
- More: NAT Changes 2024: No More Oceanic Clearances
- More: Timeline of North Atlantic Changes
- More: North Atlantic Update: WAT Happened To WATRS?
- More: NAT Changes Coming Soon!